Sunday, March 30, 2008

Engine Casing Cleaning

It's getting warmer out and I'm getting anxious to get this machine on the road! Finally had some time to work on the bike this weekend. Engine - Cleaning Engine Casing: Before reinstalling the tank, I spent some time on refinishing the engine casing. The aluminum finish over the years has some discoloration and light oxidation. It's not bad but it certainly can look better. I have tried quite a few things on the metal surface with fair to poor results. I'm checking the motorcycle club boards now to see if anyone has some better idea's. In the meantime I settled on a treatment of Aluminum Navel Jelly and a finishing treatment of Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. If you haven't used Mother's before for aluminum work - I would highly recommend it. The product does an amazing job of bringing a luster up on metal surfaces. I'm got tired of polishing - lets mount some parts!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mother's works great. What works even greater, if you have the patience, is Mother's applied with a Dremel with their polishing discs. It's umbelievable how this works.

For the rear break connecting parts I used Mother's also. For the rod, I put one end in a drill (gently) and spun it while using mothers with a white rag. It came out near perfect in just a few minutes.

jpk